History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:24 am 

The cruiser Aspern has avoided 2 torpedoes, one of which exploded in her wake. She was about 20 nm from the mouth of Pola's harbor at the time.

Orders?

Note that the battleline is still leaving port at this time and Division I has just cleared the boom defenses and minefields

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Regarding Sabotage
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:31 am 

The basis for you guys nailing an Italian Battleship is based upon what happened in WWI. Each side in the scenario tried to enforce operational security. The Austro-Hungarians were successful with the espionage and the Italians weren't. If this were a WWI scenario (particularly late WWI) the Austro-Hungarians would likely come to hate the letters MAS and the word limpet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:53 am 

Sorivar wrote:
The cruiser Aspern has avoided 2 torpedoes, one of which exploded in her wake. She was about 20 nm from the mouth of Pola's harbor at the time.

Orders?

Situation report. Do we have a map? Were torpedoes from port or starboard?

All ships beat to quarters. Cruiser column to increase speed to Panther and Leopards best speed (should be 17kts). Execute a course change. All ships turn simultaneously to NW; maintain course NW for ten minutes, then turn simultaneously back to S and maintain course S at 17kts. All ships are free to evade as necessary to avoid torpedoes or other ships.

All ships to look for targets. Cruisers are free to illuminate potential targets. Cruisers are to challenge targets with red over blue lights before firing. Challenged friendlies are to reply with fleet recognition sign per Admiral's standing orders. Targets that do not respond properly or that open fire may be engaged.

Phryne: Fancy that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:12 pm 

Status Report 1755 Hours.

All ships are beginning manuevers as ordered. No damage or casualites. No targets are sighted.

Mod Note: This is during night time. No ships are lit unless otherwise ordered.

Channeling Bob Dedmon - "Avoid Collisions"

There is no map. Place your fleet in assigned line ahead formation 20 nm from Pola.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:36 pm 

Sorivar wrote:
Status Report 1755 Hours.

All ships are beginning manuevers as ordered. No damage or casualites. No targets are sighted.

Channeling Bob Dedmon - "Avoid Collisions"

There is no map. Place your fleet in assigned line ahead formation 20 nm from Pola.

That should be Panther as the southernmost ship, followed by Leopard, Kaiser Frans Josef I, Aspern and Szigetvár at 2500 meter intervals, Kaiser Karl VI 5000 meters to the north, with Sankt Georg 2500 meters further north, and then Magnet 5000 meters north of her.

Is Aspern 20 nautical miles from Pola, or the leading ship of the Scouting Force?

Yes, Kontreadmiral von Esterhazy will be very cross with any captains who collide. He will be less cross with captains who collide with Italian warships, but he would greatly prefer said collision be between our shells and their hulls, not our hulls and their hulls.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:54 pm 

Aspern is 20nm outside Pola. The scouting formation is as laid out in your previous post. Panther is in the lead followed by Leopard, Kaiser Franz Josef I, Apern and Szigetvár at the point of the attack. Panther is 10,000 meters ahead at the time of the attack followed by the other ships at 2500 meter intervals. The turn is currently in progress.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:57 pm 

Sorivar wrote:
Aspern is 20nm outside Pola. The scouting formation is as laid out in your previous post. Panther is in the lead followed by Leopard, Kaiser Franz Josef I, Apern and Szigetvár at the point of the attack. Panther is 10,000 meters ahead at the time of the attack followed by the other ships at 2500 meter intervals. The turn is currently in progress.

Are I Cruiser Division and Magnet also turning?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:05 pm 

Can I assume I got a contact report, or do I have to wait for Rob to specifically order one?

Rob Herrick wrote:
Cruiser column to increase speed to Panther and Leopards best speed (should be 17kts).

I believe every ship in the cruiser squadron can make 19 knots.

Sorivar wrote:

Battle Instructions, General Fleet Instruction #7: "In a night action all ships must burn navigational lights and speed lights. They will also hoist at the masthead a red light above a blue one. The speed used will be that previous to the action, and alterations of course should not be made together."

The standing order is that they be lit. I thought it safer to keep our ships from shooting each other than to stay hidden from the enemy in the darkness.

(Rumours that the orders used to specify red over white like the Kriegsmarne naval ensign are lies spread by communists and anarchists.)

Last edited by Isabel on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:12 pm 

We may wish to change the recognition signal for tomorrow night, lest the Italians copy the challenge and response.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:16 pm 

Let us focus on surviving tonight and tomorrow before we worry about tomorrow night.

Post subject: Contact Report & @Isabel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:08 pm 

You can assume that you have a contact report. Rob need not send the order in this case.

Stand corrected on order #7. That will make it easier for you all in this manuever.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:11 pm 

Division I is at liberty to do as it is ordered. All I have to see is the order posted and it shall be so.

Cybergnomes are gathering on deck... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:45 pm 

Outside Pola Harbour, 1755 Hours, January 5th, 1909

Kontreadmiral Mariendorf had positioned herself on the flying bridge of SMS Erzherzog Friedrich in spite of the chill, and a few loose strands of light curly hair waved in the wind. The position offered good visibility for observing her division's progress in leaving the harbour. She intended to stay there until the entire fleet was out and had settled into a cruising pattern. Suddenly a signal man rushed in, started to say something, stopped himself, and saluted. The instant she returned it the signalman offered a piece of paper and said, "Orders from the flagship, Madam!"

ASPERN EVADED TORPEDOES 20 NM FROM POLA MAIN FLEET WILL CONTINUE SALLY CLEAR DIV GRP MAKE FULL SPEED S 8 NM TURN ESE 16 NM TURN S MAINTAIN SPEED UNTIL FRIENDLIES ARE SEEN CONFIRMED ENEMIES MAY BE ENGAGED WITH SEARCHLIGHTS QF GUNS

"Probably a submarine," she muttered. Reuenthal's plan was bold if dangerous. To intercept the battleships, the enemy would have to deduce their presence and guess what course the rest of the fleet would take. Toward the more open part of the sea would be the educated guess, and heading west would permit the submarine another chance at the cruisers. Therefore, the Admiral was taking the Battleship and Torpedo Squadrons as close to the coast as he dared.

"Okay, signal I Division. I will take the lead with Friedrich. All ships are to set revolutions for 17 knots and maintain a separation of 800 metres. I will signal turns ahead of time, and they will be in succession, but each Captain has discretion to evade if torpedoes are spotted."

The chill would get worse as the ship got up to speed, and Von Mariendorf knew she should head to the pilot house on the bridge. Instead she adjusted her coat and hat, grabbed hold of the railing, and turned to face the wind.

Fleet Orders

-Every Division and Group that is fully clear of the harbour, mines, booms, etc, will set revolutions for 17 knots and head South for 8 nautical miles, then turn East-South-East and hold that course for 16 NM, then turn South and maintain speed until forward fleet elements are seen.

-Further orders will be issued as the fleet rendezvous.

I Battleship Division Orders

-Follow fleet orders, reduce speed to 11 knots after last turn South. Signal any friendlies to take formation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:30 pm 

Sorivar wrote:
Division I is at liberty to do as it is ordered. All I have to see is the order posted and it shall be so.

Cybergnomes are gathering on deck... :lol:

I Cruiser Division and Magnet to execute a course change to NW. Maintain course NW for 10 minutes, then resume S. Speed 17 kts. All ships to look for targets. Captains to challenge targets with red over blue lights; challenged targets to respond by hoisting red over blue. Targets that do not respond to challenge may be illuminated by searchlight at Captain's discretion. Targets that do not respond to challenge or that open fire may be engaged.

Kontreadmiral Esterhazy will be very cross if there are any collisions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:12 pm 

II Division will conform to I Division for now.

No need to rock the boat...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:37 am 
Mockingbird

The Bushranger wrote:
II Division will conform to I Division for now.

No need to rock the boat...

Ditto, except replace II with III.

Do we have ANYTHING that can attack a submerged submarine? If we do, are they with the cruiser squadron? If not, can we detail a torpedo boat to stay in the area where the sub attack occured with the aim of trying to blast the sub when it has to surface?

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:46 am 

Belushi TD wrote:
Do we have ANYTHING that can attack a submerged submarine?

Ram it if it's at periscope depth. That's about it.

Belushi TD wrote:
If we do, are they with the cruiser squadron? If not, can we detail a torpedo boat to stay in the area where the sub attack occured with the aim of trying to blast the sub when it has to surface?

Belushi TD

Once the fleet is past it, if it's a sub, who cares? It can't catch up.

I'm thinking torpedo boats more likely.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:10 am 
Mockingbird

It can't catch up, but it CAN surface and search for the battle line, if we don't detail someone to keep it down.

If it IS a torpedo boat, is it likely that it has shot its was with the two torpedo attack? I'd have thought that if it was a torpedo boat, there would be more than one of them, and we'd have seen more than two torpedoes, anyway. So... They'd be more likely to stick around and go after the battle line, so we should keep SOMETHING in the area to try to sanitize it in preparation for our battle line's progress.

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:49 am 

And what, pray tell, does the Kontreadmiral think the Commander of the Scouting Force is doing? Dancing a quadrille at 17kts?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:50 am 

Sorivar, we're in a tactical turn, correct? So we will get another report and issue more orders at 1800, 1805 and 1810, correct?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next